We have extolled the benefits of moisturizing daily plenty of times. Moisturizer is as essential to the skin as water is to the human body. A good moisturizer serves as a protective barrier between your skin and environmental elements like sun, dust, harsh winds, chemicals, pollutants, etc. “Look after your skin at each stage, and follow the most important and the basic regime of cleansing-toning-moisturizing. But as you grow older, your attention should mostly shift to moisturizing your skin well. It is very important to take extra care of your skin when you’re in your fifties” says Zarine Nissar, celebrated MUA in the fashion industry and Bollywood for over 20 years.
While you know that applying it morning and night should be an essential step in your beauty regimen, there are quite a few easy tips to help maximize your moisturizer’s benefits.
How to maximize the effect of your moisturiser
1. Use a facial oil/ Serum beforehand
Is your skin on the dry, dull side? Consider using a face oil before applying a moisturizer. After cleansing, place 1-2 drops of the facial oil/serum and rub it in between the palms of your hands, creating warmth and friction (this activates the ingredients), and then press it into your face. Then, follow up with your moisturizer for even more hydration.
2. Try layering your moisturizer
Take a little bit of moisturizer, rub it in your hands and on your fingertips and put it on your face. Wait for 1 minute. And then put another layer of moisturizer. Layering is the best way for moisturizing your skin for over a long period of time. It doesn't get dry for at least 6-7 hours. Also, spritz rose mist and let it set on your skin and then apply the moisturizer. It only helps your skin to absorb the moisturizer better.
3. Blend it with your makeup base
If you want to help sheer your liquid foundation out a bit, mix a small amount with your moisturizer before applying it to your face. “ A good moisturizer with proper blending can give a nice glowing complexion. It enhances your skin without looking like your makeup is overdone,” says Zarine Nisar.
4. Try one formulated with antioxidant-rich ingredients
We know it’s a struggle to fit extra steps into your morning rush-hour skincare routine. But you shouldn’t skip out on sunscreen—even if you’re running late. That’s because when you spend prolonged periods of time in the sun without protection, it can lead to damage - and in the long run that can show up as visible signs of aging like dark spots and wrinkles. Reach for a moisturizer formulated with antioxidant-rich botanicals like Red raspberry, Carrot seed oil and Sea buckthorn for their sun-blocking capabilities.
Daughter Earth Moisturiser contains botanicals, plant oils and a high amount of antioxidants that not just provide your skin with deep nourishment but also fight against free radicals and sun damage.
5. How much to apply: Too much of anything is harmful. Moisturizer is not an exception Know your skin type and apply the moisturizer accordingly. If you have a dry skin type, your moisturizer should be able to provide the necessary moisture to keep your skin hydrated and it is suggestible to apply a thicker layer of a moisturizer (especially during the night). And if you have oily skin, moisturizer should be able to moisturize your skin without leaving it greasy. Applying too much moisturizer may lead to cysts, often clogged pores and aggravates acne.
6. Following the basic never goes wrong: In order to help your moisturizer sink well into your skin, apply it right after a shower or cleanse. Here are the steps that help open up your pores and trap moisture well in the layers of skin. Here is the break-up: Cleanse-exfoliate-tone-moisturize.
- Cleanse your face with a cleanser or face wash that doesn’t strip off natural oils off your skin but does clarify impurities and excess oil. It is ideal to use warm water to cleanse as the heat opens up pores and blood vessels and helps the ingredients absorb into deeper layers of skin.
- Exfoliate skin once or twice a week. Face masks like that of Java Plum and body scrubs help to remove dead cells that disturb the skin from absorbing and sealing hydration. Always go for gentle exfoliators that detoxifies the skin while leaving it hydrated.
- Toning - Layer up cleansed and dry skin (once water is all absorbed or dried up) with a facial serum.This step creates a lipid barrier that protects from water loss from the skin. Also, you can spritz rose mist and let it set on your skin and then apply the moisturiser (it only helps your skin to absorb the moisturizer better).
- The last step is to moisturize. Once the serum is set in, apply a moisturiser, evenly all over the face and neck. Follow this with a layer of 1-2 drops of serum on top of the moisturiser. This step locks in the applied moisture on the skin. You can follow it up with your sunscreen.