Yes, those very cumin seeds you use to add a dash of spice to your food. Cumin is an amazing skincare ingredient too.
Indian cuisine is incomplete without the usage of the traditional spices like cumin seeds, turmeric, coriander etc. They form the soul of most of the Indian recipes contributing the unique flavor and aroma to the recipe. One of the most widely used traditional spices is the cumin seed, popularly known as “jeera” in Hindi. The nutty, warm and peppery flavor of cumin seed makes it a part of many other international cuisines such as Chinese, Mexican, middle eastern etc.
But apart from serving its culinary purposes, this traditional spice is highly beneficial for overall health, especially skin.
What is cumin extract?
Cumin is the dried seed of the herb Cuminum cyminum a member of the parsley family. The cumin plant grows to 30-50 cm tall and is harvested by hand. The main producer and consumer of cumin is India. Cumin is well known for helping in proper functioning of digestive system. The common chemical constituents of cumin are cuminaldehyde, cymene and terpenoids. It contains 2-4% of volatile oil called cumin oil.
Skin benefits of cumin
Your skin requires daily protection and nourishment. Cumin extract not only protects skin but also gets rid of skin problems like acne, scars, uneven skin-tone etc. Here are few skin benefits of cumin:
- Treats boils- The accumulation of the toxins in your body leads to boils on your skin. These are mainly the outlet for the elimination of the harmful substances like microbes, you can get rid of all these with the consumption of cumin seeds on regular basis. The presence of compounds like cuminaldehyde, phosphorous etc. helps to detoxify your body.
- Prevents aging- Cumin helps you retain your youthful charm. The antioxidants present in cumin fights the free radicals, which cause the wrinkles, dark circles and other age spots thereby maintaining your healthy youthful glow regardless of age.
- Fights skin disorders- The Vitamin E content in cumin helps to keep the skin healthy and glowing. Cumin seeds are an antimicrobial agent that fights the bacteria and fungus which causes various skin infections and other skin disorders like acne, pimples, eczema. Therefore, application of cumin paste on your pimples, boils and other skin eruptions leads to fast healing of them.
- Reduces skin itching, rashes and body heat- If you suffer from body heat, rashes and itchiness, you can get rid of those with cumin. Cumin also helps to reduce the burning sensation of your palms and soles.
Antimicrobial, antioxidant, good detoxifier, rich in vitamin E, reduces body heat.
Health benefits of Cumin
Cumin protects your body from various infections and diseases. Here are some top health benefits of cumin seeds-
One of the powerful health benefits of cumin seeds is the ability to digest foods easily. Eating cumin seeds can essentially help you get rid of indigestion. The recent studies have shown that cumin seeds along with turmeric and coriander stimulate the digestive process with their ability to increase the secretion of Lipase, a pancreatic enzyme and bile juice, both of which facilitate digestion.
- Regulates blood sugar: The hypoglycemic property of cumin makes it a natural cure for diabetes. It helps to regulate the blood sugar levels and hence cumin is good for the diabetic patients. In addition to this, cumin seeds also reduce the level of harmful fats or lipids in the body.
- Keeps your heart healthy: Protecting heart and prevention of heart attack is another benefit of cumin seeds. The potassium content in cumin helps in maintaining the electrolyte balance of the body. It also regulates the production of cells and maintains blood pressure, which is one of the prominent causes of heart attacks.
- Regulate menstruation cycle: Cumin seeds are a must for women as they regulate the menstruation cycle. They give relief from the stomach pain and the other symptoms of menses and thereby help women have a hassle free menstrual cycle.
- Strengthens bones: With age, our bones turn weak but you can strengthen them with cumin seeds. Cumin contains high amount of calcium that helps in the formation of strong bones. Also, the extracts of cumin increase your bone mineral density hence, to avoid osteoporosis, you must incorporate cumin in your daily routine.
Cumin in Ayurveda
Cumin is used as an Ayurvedic medicine used for several diseases of the digestive, respiratory, circulatory and reproductive system. In Ayurveda, it is used because of its carminative, digestive stimulant, antacid, astringent, diuretic actions. It also reduces body heat thereby reducing boils and rashes. Its antibacterial properties are well known to get rid of pimples and other skin disorders. The benefits and remedies of cumin seeds have been used since centuries for its outstanding results, so why not adopt and avail the benefits of these wonder seeds? Do check out our Active botanical facewash that contains extract of Cumin seeds which helps gently cleanse your skin while also nourishing with good nutrition.
Ayurveda and https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12577586