When you think of skincare, essential oils will definitely come to your mind. But not really the one we extract from carrot seed, isn't it? Essential oils are extracted from an array of natural ingredients to boost regeneration and rejuvenation of the skin. One of the less known types is Carrot Seed Oil which carries exceptional anti-oxidant and emollient properties to combat multiple skin issues. Its pleasant fragrance also makes it an effective room diffuser during aromatherapy. It did make it to our dream deck of ingredients for Eternal Youth Rejuvenation Serum and Eternal Youth Phytonutrient Moisturiser.
What is Carrot Seed Oil?
Carrots are rooty and leafy vegetables which appear deep orange in color. They can be consumed in raw as well as cooked form. They are grown all over the world and are endowed with countless nutritional and health benefits such as vitamins, minerals and carotenoids. The oil is obtained from the seeds of the carrot plant through the common process of steam distillation.
Skin Benefits of Carrot Seed Oil
According to the Carrot Museum of United Kingdom, the beta-carotene agent (i.e. which is converted into Vitamin A by the body) found in the oil can reduce the reactions of redness and swelling caused by sun exposure. It, in turn, increases the skin’s resistance against harmful UV rays. Apart from this Carrot seed oil can also become an effective solution to other skin related problems:
- Skin Diseases: Skin diseases such as Dermatitis, Eczema and Psoriasis often lead to redness and inflammation of the skin. Carrot Seed oil can revitalize and soothe the infected areas. It has anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties which make it an effective healer.
- Helps in healing boils, rashes and scars: The oil contains Vitamins E and C both of which are considered beneficial for regeneration and healing of the skin. Hence, skin problems such as boils, abscesses and scars can be easily treated through its topical application.
- Oily and dry skin: Whether your skin is too oily or dry, Carrot seed oil can nourish and help unclog pores and to make the skin soft and oil free.
- Helps to reduce wrinkles and signs of aging: Firmness and zero wrinkles are the indicators of flawless and ageless skin. The oil is enriched with the goodness of vitamins and Carotol which are great rejuvenation boosters.
- The king of moisturizing: Components such as Carotene, Vitamins E and C as well as camphene promote the nourishment of the skin and make it appear smoother and softer.
- Provides glowing Skin: Its moisturizing properties and natural minerals impart a natural glow and make skin appear radiant and luminous.
Properties of Carrot Seed Oil:
Let’s take a glance at the exemplary properties of Carrot Seed Oil:
- Diuretic Agent
Health Benefits of Carrot Seed Oil:
Did you know the oil has amazing health benefits, so let’s take a look at them in detail?
- Arthritis and rheumatism: Carrot seed oil can be infused along with other essential oils. These infusions can be used for massaging affected joints and muscles where the effects of arthritis and rheumatism are most prevalent in the body.
- Stress reliever: A few drops of the oil can be diluted in water during a bath. By doing this the body may get instant relief from stress and anxiety.
- Vapor Therapy for smooth functioning of respiratory and digestive systems: The oil is also considered effective for performing vapor inhaling therapy which can remove blockages and restore smooth function of the respiratory and digestive systems.
- Healthy Immune System: Due to the presence of carotene and Vitamins E and C in the oil, it is considered an excellent immune booster which improves the lymph system and blood formation in the body.
- Eyesight: Carrots are considered good for improving eyesight and the same goes with the seed oil.
- Breast Feeding: Mothers who give birth to newborn babies are, at times, recommended by doctors to have a small intake of Carrot Seed Oil to stimulate the production of breast milk after childbirth.
- Menstrual Pain: Menstrual cramps come along with periods. But Carrot seed oil is believed to provide relief in the painful situation.
- Diuretic Agent: A Massage with warm Carrot Seed Oil on the lower abdomen and back areas may reduce the inflammation of urinary tract and prevent occurrence of kidney stones.
- Helps in curing Colic, hiccups and flatulence: Colic, hiccups and flatulence are all common problems which can create uneasiness amongst children. The oil is believed to ease the effects of these problems.
Carrots in Ayurveda:
In Ayurveda the vegetable is considered an excellent healer. It can be used in many forms one of them being the oil extracted from the seeds of carrot. It is believed to have the potential to heal digestive, birth as well as skin related problems. There are some Ayurvedic terms which glorify the importance of the vegetable in the organic world:
- Yavaneshta- it is adored in the western culture
- Naranga Kanda- the vegetable appears orange in color.
- Vartula- it depicts the conical cum cylindrical shape of the leafy vegetable.
- Deepana- the effective stimulant for digestion
- Sangrahi- can cure diarrhea
- Laghu- easy to digest
Carrot Seed Oil is a versatile ingredient which offers remarkable benefits to the skin as well as body. You can try it in our exquisite moisturizer and serum and see the results for yourself.