Citrons (Citrus Medica) represent both the heart and the ideal Jewish faith, as it is aromatic and flavorful. Citron is one of the oldest citrus fruits, with documentation reaching as far back as the Mesopotamian civilization. Citrons may look like bumpy, unattractive lemons, but the vitamins and nutrients they offer are surely remarkable. Citrons are loaded with properties that are astonishingly beneficial to your skin and health as well.
What is citron extract?
The citron is a large fragrant citrus fruit with a thick rind, it is botanically classified as Citrus medica. In Italian, it is known as a Cedro. Citron’s pulp is dry, containing a small quantity of insipid juice. The essential oil of the flavedo (the outermost layer of rind) is regarded as an antibiotic. The juice of citron has a high Vitamin-C content, which is important for a healthy skin.
Skin benefits of citron
We are familiar with skin benefits of lemon and many of us might even use lemon scrubs on daily basis but citron is one step ahead of lemon with its remarkable properties that will give us glowing and youthful skin for years ahead. Here are some amazing benefits:
- Powerful anti-ageing properties- Citron has twice the content of vitamin-C that is found in lemon. Besides it also has an important anti-ageing agent called flavonoids. Both of these agents are necessary for anti-ageing as it can fight free radicals that are constantly formed in our body. Thus citron protects us from signs of ageing such as wrinkles and fine lines, keeping our skin youthful and glowing.
- Prevents acne- Acne is a major problem among teens and young adults. Vitamin-A in citron protects your skin from bacteria and other microbes responsible for acne. An abundance of vitamin-C also helps in reducing swelling that makes the appearance of the acne small. Hence using citron you can keep the acne problems at bay.
- Healthy and glowing skin- Vitamin-C improves the synthesis of collagen. Collagen is a vital substance in your skin, lack of collagen makes your skin cracked and dry. So with regular use of citron you need not worry about dry skin.
- Brightens your skin- Vitamin-C is found in abundant amounts in citron, a lot more than lemon. Vitamin-C is known for skin brightening, so imagine your skin tone! Also vitamin-C boosts antioxidants such as vitamin-E and glutathione, these antioxidants play a great role in making your skin brighter.
Properties of citron-
Abundant vitamin c, rich in vitamin E and other antioxidants, antibacterial and antimicrobial properties.
- Health benefits of citron – Citron not only has excellent skin benefits but also it has remarkable health benefits. Here are a few mentioned benefits-
- Increase your body’s immunity- Vitamin-C plays a vital role in your body’s immunity. Citron has abundant amounts of vitamin-C and thus increasing the chance of you to have a stronger immunity system. This can happen because vitamin-C increases the performance of white blood cells i.e. our body’s defense cell, thereby helping in protecting you from any diseases and infections that come your way.
- Promotes healthy blood flow- Blood is a vital part in our body, which means that if our blood is healthy and flowing, our whole body will also be healthy. Vitamin-C aids in regulating a great blood flow. Besides, it tones the blood vessels. These two functions are a match for healthy blood flow and healthy body.
- Prevents flu and cold-The antioxidant property of citron is great for fighting flu and cold.
- Relieves stress- Citron has been used in many cultures for treatment of mind and body. The aromatics of citron has proven to decrease anxiety, depression, anger and other mental problems.
Citron in Ayurveda
Citron fruits were used to prepare special drinks called “Shadava”. In south India they are also used to make pickles. The juice was and is still used to treat bee stings and to treat scurvy. Citron is useful in treatment of colic pain, constipation, impairment of digestion, controlling gut parasites. Basically citron takes good care of gut health. It is also known for its Vitamin-C abundance and wonderful skin care properties.
To give your skin the benefits of this amazing fruit, please check out our Active Botanical Face Wash.