When we think about an ‘even’ skin tone, we imagine a problem free skin without any acne spots or hyperpigmentation due to sun exposure. Uneven skin tone usually happens due to our skin producing melanin unevenly, resulting in an uneven look in our appearance.
Uneven skin tone is not a medical problem, but it does give the appearance of dull skin, and the result can be unsightly. No one wants a skin that is blotchy with dark spots. It destroys the youthful appearance of the skin.
It is even more bothersome because the face is more likely to have hyperpigmentation than any other part of the body. The face has skin which is also thinner, meaning it is also prone to more sun damage induced melanin production.
Overexposure to the sun, excessive tanning, age and even hormonal fluctuations are responsible for overproduction of melanin unevenly.
How do you get rid of uneven skin tone? The answer is simple: having a proper beauty regime. There are also simple steps that can be implemented in your everyday life. With the exception of one or two, should be followed every single day for the best result.
Here are some tips to help you achieve an even skin tone.
- Limit exposure to the sun: The sun is your enemy when it comes to hyperpigmentation. Limiting the sun exposure from ten in the morning to four in the afternoon can help.
- Practice healthy skin habits: This means washing the skin with a mild, pH balanced cleanser, like Daughter Earth’s Active Botanical Face Wash is a must. It can soothe you from sun damage and nourish the skin deeply.
- Don’t pick at your pimples! : Popping pimples can feel satisfying, but it leaves scars which result in acne scars.
- Reduce your acne. Acne scars are the most common causes of hyper-pigmented spots. Therefore, before you tackle pigmentation, you should tackle pimples.
- Lemons. Choose natural skin lighters, like lemons. Lemon juice can lighten hyperpigmented spots. Just be sure to limit your sun exposure to avoid burns.
- Don’t forget to moisturise. Use a moisturiser, preferably with lightening agents. Our Eternal Youth Phytonutrient Moisturiser has sandalwood and palasha, two natural ingredients that can be beneficial in lightening the dark spots.
- Use sunscreen liberally. Sunscreens protect the skin all year long, which is why this is one skincare item that cannot be skipped. Look for natural sunscreens that have carrot seed oil for added benefit.
- Eat nutrient rich foods. Poor diet can hamper with our melanin production. Melanin, when produced unevenly, can create unsightly dark spots. one of the ways to combat this is eating foods rich in antioxidants, like superfoods.
- Say no to tanning. Tanning can not only give unsightly dark spots, but it can also cause skin cancer! Nothing is worth risking that condition, right? If you do need a tan, opt for self-tanners instead of tanning beds.
Serums for your skin. Serums are lighter in texture, so they penetrate deeper in your skin. Choose a serum that will target the melanin product and work from the inside to reduce dark spots. We recommend Eternal Youth Rejuvenating Serum which has carrot seed oil, licorice and vitamin c extracts.
Regularly following the above steps will give results over a period of time. Keep up your beauty game and you too will achieve that even skin tone you always wished for.