Have you ever wondered if flowers from a date shrub can be a treasure of skin benefits? Well, Zizyphus also known as Chinese date or ber in India has shown for some outstanding properties that lead to skin and health benefits. Zizyphus has been mentioned since centuries in mythology, especially in Ramayana. Remember shabari tasting each date so that only sweet dates are eaten by Shri Ram? Well, Zizyphus flowers are also very well known for their brilliant properties and our motive is to explore each and every property of Zizyphus and make sure only best reaches to you.
What is Zizyphus Sativa extract?
Zizyphus Sativa belongs to the buckthorn family. It's plant is a small deciduous shrub and usually with thorny branches. The flowers are small, 5mm wide, with five inconspicuous yellowish-green petals. The fruits are edible and in oval shape of size 1.5 – 3 centimeters, when immature it is smooth green with taste and consistency like apple, when matured it looks purplish-black and eventually gets wrinkled looking like date. It is generally grown in southern Asia, between Lebanon, northern India and southern and central china.
Skin benefits of Zizyphus Sativa (Indian Date)
Our skin requires constant care and nourishment. Our skin is damaged every day due to pollution, various chemicals, harmful sunrays etc. to protect and restore the beauty of our skin zizyphus flower oil has come to our rescue. Let’s have look at the properties-
- Anti-bacterial – Zizyphus extract has antibacterial properties, this property helps in getting rid of acne, pimples and other skin infections thus helping us achieve clean and clear skin.
- Anti-ageing agent – Zizyphus is a storehouse of antioxidants and as we know antioxidants help us in protecting our skin from various harmful factors like UV radiations, pollution etc. These antioxidants help us fight the signs of ageing like wrinkles, blemishes etc. and keeps our skin glowing and youthful.
- Skin rejuvenation – Zizyphus oil plays an important role in rejuvenating skin. It helps us to get rid of dirt, dead cells, dark spots, blemishes etc. and restores the youthful and healthy glowing skin.
- Vitamin C – Zizyphus is full of vitamin C. Vitamin C is necessary for our skin as it has antioxidant properties and it plays a vital role in collagen synthesis. These properties of vitamin C helps us in protecting our skin against UV induced photodamage and make our skin healthier, brighter, smoother and youthful.
- Anti-inflammatory – Usually our skin is prone to boils, rashes, sunburns etc. especially during summers. The zizyphus extract has a soothing property that helps in soothing the skin from all these rashes and burns. It is also known to treat boils, giving clear skin.
- Moisturizer - Constant washing or due to climate change or during winters our skin becomes dry and excessive dryness can also cause rashes on the skin. Zizyphus extract is well-known remedy for skin dryness and rashes. The extract moisturizes and nourishes the skin, restoring the natural smooth supple skin.
Zizyphus Sativa or Indian Date is not only known for skin benefits but is also well recognized for health benefits. The properties of this extract is exploited for treating numerous health issues ranging from throat infections, bronchitis to diabetes, cancer etc. Let’s have a look-
- Treats throat infections - Zizyphus is known to treat many throat infections, sore throat, inflammatory throat infections, hoarseness, coughs and bronchitis as well.
- Boosts Immune system – As Zizyphus is rich in vitamin C. vitamin A and potassium, it helps in enhancing and boosting our immune system.
- Blood purifier - Zizyphus helps in detoxification and purifications of blood. It aids in getting rid of all toxins and extra fluids from the body. Blood purification is important for healthy body and healthy skin.
- Controls blood sugar - According to NCBI Pubmed reports, zizyphus has shown to maintain normal levels of sugar in the blood.
- Liver tonic - Zizyphus is also known as a liver tonic. It strengthens the liver function and helps in maintaining good health of the liver.
- Heart tonic – The Chinese date is known as excellent heart tonic as it aids in strengthening cardiac muscles, keeping healthy and happy heart.
- Gastrointestinal tract (GIT)protector – The Zizyphus helps in treating various digestive ailments such as indigestion, constipation, flatulence etc. It aids in proper digestion of food, strengthens the GIT and maintains good health.
- Anti-depressant - Zizyphus is also known to improve one’s mood. It is a well known anti-depressant. It activates happy hormones, uplifting one’s mood.
- Anti-cancer properties – According to many healthcare journals Zizyphus has shown anticancer properties.
In Ayurveda, Zizyphus has many medicinal properties. It is generally used as a blood purifier, to treat stomach ailments, to treat skin boils and rashes, and many other purposes. The antioxidant property of this date is well known since centuries hence it is used to protect skin and health from harmful free radicals. In Korean and Chinese traditional medicine, Zizyphus is believed to alleviate stress, and it has antiulcer, antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory properties. It is also believed to treat chronic constipation.
So after looking at all these wonderful properties of Zizyphus or Chinese date, we can surely call it as ‘wonder flower’. To get your skin the benefits of this wonder date try our Active botanical facewash.