Gotu kola or commonly known as Mandukaparni (in some parts of North India) is a low-growing green leafy herb that has been a common household name for ages due to its wonderful therapeutic and culinary applications. Gotu kola can be found natively throughout wetlands in Southeast Asia, India, and in some parts of the United States. It is said to possess magical rejuvenating properties which makes it an ideal ingredient for almost every skin care product. Gotu Kola is an active ingredient of our Eternal Youth Rejuvenating Serum, which is an anti-aging night serum containing more than 21 other botanicals as well, few of which have even been sourced from above 12000 feet altitude for a superior formulation.
Other names of Gotu kola include Centella asiatica, Indian pennywort, Brahmi, or spade leaf. A few anti-aging properties of this miracle herb are:
- Gotu Kola is rich in amino acids, beta-carotene, fatty acids, and numerous potent phytochemicals.
- Extracts of Gotu kola have been found to calm inflammation, speed wound healing, stimulate new cell growth, build collagen, and improve circulation.
- An overview in the Indian Journal of Medicine calls gotu kola a "potential herbal cure-all" while a research summary published in Phytomedicine, says: "Centella asiatica has been subjected to quite extensive experimental and clinical investigations.
- In a 2012 study, researchers found that the formulation inhibited bacterial growth, fueled the growth of new skin cells and increased skin "tensile strength" and resilience.
- There's also good evidence that gotu kola helps repair veins.
- Centella's circulation-boosting abilities are so powerful that it's been used as an effective treatment for varicose veins and broken capillaries and to break down cellulite by shrinking the connective tissues that bind fat cells under the skin.
GOTU KOLA FOR SKIN:
- Reduction of visible signs of aging: Collagen is the protein required in abundance for proper maintenance of skin. As we age, the collagen in our body degenerates at a rate of 1% per year and this results in wrinkles, fine lines, sagging of skin, discoloration etc. According to numerous scientific studies, Gotu kola has been found to effectively promote collagen production thereby postponing the process of aging.
- Prevents scarring and stretch marks: Gotu Kola is also rich in organic compounds such as triterpenoids that can boost antioxidant activity and combined with its adaptogen property minimizes the damage due to oxidative stress which is another primary reason for the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. It also inhibits scar tissue formation and stretch marks.
- Works wonders for Acne damaged skin: Gotu kola's anti-microbial properties make help acne prone skin- the most common skin condition affecting everyone at some point in their life.
- Control and cure for cellulite: Gotu kola also stands out for its use in reducing cellulite as it has been proven through research. Gotu kola extract also can be used as a massage oil to treat and prevent stretch marks. Gotu kola oil can be used to treat minor burns and most of the skin infections. Gotu kola has been proven without a doubt that it is very effective for treating any type of skin problems.
Gotu Kola in Ayurveda
In Ayurveda, Gotu Kola is called "a pharmacy in one herb" and has been extensively used in Rasayana tantra. Medhya Rasayana slows brain aging and regenerates neural tissues in addition to providing anti-stress, adaptogenic and memory enhancing properties. While its rejuvenating properties promote anti-aging and longevity. Gotu Kola has prominent mention in the Sushrut Samhita - an ancient Ayurvedic medical text.Gotu kola has also been mentioned in the Shennong Herbal compiled in China over 2000 years ago as a yin tonic.
- rich in anti-oxidants
- Adaptogenic- improves your body's ability to adapt to stress
- Wound healing
- anti-inflammatory- property of a substance or treatment that reduces inflammation or swelling.
Gotu Kola has been used since ancient times to treat varicose veins, chronic venous insufficiency, psoriasis, minor wounds, strangury, asthma, diabetes, UTI, anorexia. It is categorized under Medhya Rasayana due to its excellence as a brain tonic and is usually the first remedy recommended for children to improve memory power. Due to its sleep-inducing property, it is also a potential cure for Insomnia. Gotu kola is used as an antidote to opium poisoning in some parts of Thailand.
It is also known as the tiger herb, as wounded tigers have been spotted rolling themselves in these leaves. In Sri Lanka, it is referred to as the "herb of longevity" as elephants love to eat these leaves and elephants are known for their long lifespan!
Drug Interactions: Gotu kola may interact with cholesterol-lowering drugs, Diabetes medications, Diuretics and sedatives so it is advised to consult a physician before taking Gotu kola if any of the above medicines are being used.
If you’re looking for a ready-made formula with gotu kola to slow down the process of aging and feel younger Freyas Youth Rejuvenating Serum should be your go to as it can moderate your body’s aging process through its healing and invigorating properties.