Who doesn’t like a glass of fine chardonnay on lazy winter evenings? Grapes not only make great wine but also possess amazing health benefits, especially for your skin.
Well, they are not just amazing looking flavourful berries: they are also loaded with amazing health benefits. They contain antioxidants such as resveratrol, anti-inflammatory properties, vitamin C – a great immunity booster, simple sugars, vitamin A, vitamin B6 etc.
Scientific name – Vitis vinifera
Grapeseed oil is a lightweight and non-comedogenic (doesn’t clog pores). For this reason, it is a perfect ingredient in serums and moisturizers. It is also known to treat acne, tighten skin, helps diminish dark circles around the eyes, prevents sun-damage, moisturizes and reduces scars, restores collagen and fights aging. Long list, but it’s true and thus we love this particular ingredient and can’t get enough of it.
Grapeseed Oil in skincare - Benefits:
- Protection against sun burns- The berries contain proanthocynidins and resveratrol, these are powerful antioxidants. These antioxidants help in protecting the skin against harmful UV rays and its inflammatory properties soothes the redness of the skin caused due to sunburns.
- Anti-ageing – Free radicals are continuously generated in our body as an outcome of the body processes such as respiration. These free radicals are the principal cause of aging which is characterized by fine lines and wrinkles on the skin. The antioxidants present in the grapes protect the skin against these free radicals, thus slowing the ageing process as well as reducing the fine lines, wrinkles, dark spots on the skin. Grapes also have an abundance of collagen forming vitamin C, which aids in retaining the skin elasticity and reverse aging.
- Makes skin smooth and supple- Seeds of the grapes are a rich source of vitamin E, thus it helps to retain the natural moisture of the skin. Grapeseed oil, the extract from the seeds, also rejuvenates the skin by eliminating the dead cells, resulting in smooth, healthy and happy skin.
- Reduce stubborn scars and even out skin tone - The presence of polyphenols in the grape pulp has shown to improve and suffuse an even skin tone, whereas vitamin C aids in repairing the skin and lightening the rigid scars.
Well, all these benefits undoubtedly prove that grapes are like an elixir for our skin!
Properties of Grapeseed Oil: Antioxidant, Anti-inflammatory, Antimicrobial, Loaded with vitamin C, Rich in vitamin E which is extremely beneficial for skin and hair. Moisturizing, emollient, anticancer, anti-allergic, anti-dandruff, immune stimulant, antimicrobial and anti-aging.
Other Benefits of Grapes and Grapeseed Oil:
- Grapes have many other amazing health benefits, such as linoleic acid present in the grapes aids in tightening of hair follicles and prevent hair loss. It also has an abundance of vitamin E and antioxidants resulting in prevention of hair problems and improving the blood circulation in the scalp.
- The berries help in relieving migraine due to the presence of antioxidants such as riboflavin.
- Grapes help in maintaining the health of the brain and studies have also shown the potent properties of grapes for treatment of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Grapes help in curing stomach indigestion and other problems by reducing stomach heat.
- Antioxidant and anti-mutagenic properties of grapes are effective to combat cancer.
- Lutein and zeaxanthin in grapes prevent eye degeneration and play an important role in maintaining good eye health.
Grapes hold high importance in Ayurveda. Ayurveda honors Grapes as ‘Drakshaa Phalottamaa,’ which means that Grapes is the best among all other fruits. A glass of grape juice in summer helps to sooth the body and also provides moisture to the cells in the body. It helps in increasing metabolism and relieves constipation and other stomach ailments (such as pitta and vata conditions). They nourish the rakta (blood) and reduce inflammation. The fruit is recommended in gout and allergies. They play an important part in maintaining brain health. They also boost immunity hence protecting us against various infections.
Grape seed oil has been recommended in Ayurveda for pacifying kapha and vata and for enhancing pitta dosha.
Grapes are a gold mine of benefits for health, especially for skin and it is for this reason that we have used Grapeseed oil in our natural skincare products. Our Eternal Youth Rejuvenating serum and Antioxidant Lip Balm use significant amounts of grapeseed oil for its antioxidant and anti-aging properties.