Not just in skincare,but from candies to after dinner liqueurs, licorice is valued for its several amazing properties. It is sweet and fragrant, and is similar to star anise and is used in skincare and food preparations all over the world. The bitter taste of medicines and tablets can be removed through Licorice. In Chinese medicine, the plant is referred to as “the king of natural medicines”.
What is Licorice Root?
Licorice also spelt as Liquorice (Mulethi or Yastimadhu) is a fragrant and powerful herb from which sweet flavorings are obtained. It is predominantly grown in many parts of Europe and Asia and has huge amounts of feather-like leaves which surround the purplish-blue flower of the plant. The word “Licorice” has been obtained from “glukurrhiza” which means sweet root.
Skin Benefits of Licorice Root
Dry Skin, pimples & acne, appearance of wrinkles and dull skin are common skin concerns, yet an unsolved one. People try to find a solution to these problems through chemical creams and tablets. But as you'd already know they cause more damage to your skin rather than helping your condition. Why take this hassle? Instead, try organic products enriched with the Licorice and its extracts. The root provides a lot of benefits to the skin:
- Satiates thirsty skin: Licorice root is commonly used in moisturizers and serums for its moisture locking properties. Regular application of these products can provide hydrated skin.
- Aids in removal of Skin Tan: It can act as a natural protector against harmful UVA/UVB rays.
- Glowing Skin: Try to involve Licorice infused lotions and serums in your skin care beauty routine. These products can provide you bright and tight skin.
- Heals redness, rashes and pimples: Licorice contains certain agents which may contribute to the healing of redness, rashes and acne. Due to this quality, it is extensively used in many skin lotions and cosmetics products.
- Dry Skin: Its anti-oxidant properties can help cure Dry patches, flakiness, and sensitive skin.
- Helps to reduce signs of aging: The root has anti-oxidant and emollient properties which may prevent the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by regular moisturizing and rejuvenation of the skin.
- Skin Diseases: Extracts of Licorice are considered beneficial for curing eczema and other dermatological diseases.
- Oil-Free Skin: Regular application of licorice-infused products on the skin unclogs the pores and makes the skin appear ravishing and youthful.
Licorice Root Properties: It has various therapeutic properties namely:
- Anti- Inflammatory
- It is a natural body moisturizer and sunscreen
- Helps to eliminate dandruff
- Aids in relaxation of muscle pains
Licorice Health Benefits:
Other than Skin Care, Licorice Root is extensively used to provide various Health Benefits:
Digestive Problems: Scientific research suggests that Licorice may have the potential to cure varied digestion problems such as stomach ulcers, chronic gastritis and constipation.
Canker Sores: An article of Michigan Medicine suggests that application of a mixture of warm water and licorice inside the mouth can accelerate the healing of canker sores inside the mouth.
- Helps in curing Colic: Colic constitutes of multiple episodes of crying which can last for more than three hours a day, or for more than three days in a week in babies. A tea made up of chamomile, licorice, fennel and lemon can provide relief in colic episodes.
- Common cold and Sore Throat: Licorice extract has anti-oxidant properties which can aid relief from common cold and sore throat.
- Can help cure Hepatitis B and C: A study carried out in Japan revealed that Glycyrrhizin an agent found in Licorice can help cure Hepatitis B and C.
- HIV and AIDS: Research indicates that Licorice can inhibit the reproduction of HIV virus in the body and insertion of Glycyrrhizin in small quantities within the body can aid the healing process.
- Helps to reduce breathing problems: Licorice has anti-inflammatory properties which help to reduce swelling in the breathing tract and improve bronchitis and asthma-related problems.
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Fatigue is the result of stress and a hectic lifestyle. Scientists have found that small intake of Licorice root on a daily basis can improve fatigue levels in individuals.
- Menopause: Research indicates that Licorice can reduce the symptoms of menopause among women.
- Promotes hair growth: Licorice is enriched with essential fats, proteins, B-complex vitamins and essential oils all of which are necessary for overall scalp health. It also helps to reduce hair loss and promotes hair growth in the scalp. If licorice is used in its original to rinse hair then it can stimulate excellent growth and reduce dandruff.
- Blood Purifier: It increases the blood circulation and promotes the rejuvenation of blood cells in the body.
Licorice in Ayurveda
Licorice is known as Mulethi or Yashtimadhu in Ayurveda. Since ancient times this powerful ingredient has been used as a household remedy for curing skin, hair, and organ related diseases. Due to its amazing qualities, this key ingredient is considered a must-have in Indian households.
This magical herb can become the answer to several skincare concerns and is believed to even promote longevity of life. It consumption along with other herbs elevate its curing effects. So, be sure to try out this mesmerizing ingredient for the satisfaction of your body and soul.