Mandarin Orange (Citrus Reticulata) citrus fruits, sweet to the taste, and, true to their name, are strikingly orange in colour. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes and are a worldwide favourite, being a staple in many a food and drink. But do you know just how much nutrition is packed within that bright orange peel? We love them and have used them in our Eternal Youth Rejuvenating Serum and Antioxidant Lip Balm
What is mandarin orange extract?
Of the Citrus Reticulata species, the mandarin orange is cultivated abundantly in Japan, China, and India. Its tree is generally smaller than the typical orange tree, and is usually thorny, with slender twigs, small flowers, and rounded leaves. The fruit itself is a brightly-coloured orange and oblate shaped, giving off that distinct tangy orange smell we all know and love.
Mandarin orange extract is taken from the thin peel of the orange and is employed commercially in the food industry as a flavouring tool – that’s how you get that unique orange taste! However, this oil has a ton of other incredible benefits that will surely surprise you.
Now’s a good time to explain just how much our Eternal Youth Phytonutrient Moisturiser, which contains mandarin orange extract, can do for you! Containing essential vitamins, minerals, flavonoids, and antioxidants, this ingredient does wonders for the skin.
- Natural sunscreen: Mandarin orange extract contains an abundance of antioxidants, which helps act as a barrier against the stronger rays of the sun.
- Anti-aging effects: Rich in vitamin C, mandarin orange extract is extremely useful in the reduction of fine lines and wrinkles, making our skin look overall younger.
- Improves skin tone: Mandarin orange extract contains a flavonoid called hesperidin, which helps increase the quantities of collagen in our skin. Collagen helps even out the skin tone.
- Heals wounds: This extract is particularly helpful in healing wounds as it promotes the growth of new cells.
- Reduces acne: With anti-inflammatory properties, mandarin orange extract can be used to reduce pimples and acne.
- Clears skin: Mandarin orange extract contains a number of vitamins that help clear up the skin of oils and give it a refreshing glow.
- Helps fight skin infections: Skin infections caused by various bacteria and fungi are effectively cured by the use of this extract.
Properties of mandarin orange extract: Mandarin orange extract contains alpha pinene, beta pinene, camphene, citronellal, geranial, limonene, linalool, myrcene, nerol, sabinene, and terpineol. Along with vitamin C, it is also rich in vitamin E and A, along with minerals like iron, carotenes, calcium, phosphorus, and potassium, and compounds like citric acid and ascorbic acid. It also exhibits astringent, antiseptic, antioxidant, antispasmodic, cytophylactic, depurative, sedative, and cooling qualities.
Besides being incredibly tasty, mandarin oranges pack an extremely nutritious, fruity punch. The extract is rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, which disarm free radicals and help prevent cell damage. It also contains potassium, which reduces cholesterol and blood pressure, and even improves body circulation. Mandarin extract also possesses antibacterial and anti-microbial properties, which prevent wounds from getting septic and flushes out toxins from the body.
The extract of mandarin orange is also great for the hair, giving it a shiny exterior and strengthening the root. It also acts as a tonic and is a known stomachic, regulating the functions of the stomach and keeping it in a good working condition. It also improves immunity and it contains tangerine, which has inherent properties are believed to help prevent liver cancer.
Mandarin extract is of a pacifying nature and can calm nerves; it is used to flavour candy, ice cream, beverages, and chewing gum. It is commonly used in cooking salads, being of a gentler nature, and it is also valued in perfume manufacturing.
Mandarin orange extract in Ayurveda:
This extract is known to have soothing properties and is used commonly in Ayurveda to treat insomnia and stress. It helps relieve digestive problems, eliminates toxins, and nourishes the skin. It even acts as an effective aromatic.
Well, if that isn’t enough reason to drink a glass of orange juice every day! It’s evident that mandarin orange and its extract do enough good for us to keep us hale and healthy for a long time. We’d recommend you get yourself some Antioxidant Lip Balm and Eternal Youth Rejuvenating Serum to reap all the benefits of mandarin orange extract.