Mulberry extract has been proven to help in skin lightening through anti-tyrosinase activity which produces this. It is also known to slow down the aging process, thereby making it an incredible ingredient to work with when you make youth preserving products such as Eternal Youth Phytonutrient Moisturiser. All our products are made up of the finest botanical ingredients nature has to offer. When we kickstart our formulation process, we start with well-being and performance as our base values and we take them very seriously. So when we stumbled across Morus Indica or Mulberry, we couldn’t let you miss out on the wide range of benefits it offers for both skin and body. Mulberry's antioxidant properties aid in easing out wrinkles and fine-lines while giving needed nutrition to the skin.
Let's delve into more details about Mulberry, shall we?
What is Indian Mulberry?
The plant is cultivated in many parts of the world such as the Pacific Islands, South East Asia, Australia and India. There are around 17 varieties which are found in India and range from purple to white in color. But the most popular variety is Morus Indica which requires warm and tropical climate and is predominantly grown in the Southern region of India.
The fruit, bark, roots and stems of the plant are extensively used for topical application to cure skin related problems, whereas, the flowers and leaves are infused in teas and grounded to form tablets. It is also known as Silkworm Mulberry and Russian Mulberry.
The mystery behind the name Silkworm Mulberry- It got this name because Silkworms feed on the leaves of the berry and produce fine quality silk which is woven into the nine-yard pattu saris.
Skin Benefits of Indian Mulberry:
There are many ways to define beauty - we care for the inner beauty as much as we do about our skin. Who doesn't want a healthy and flawless skin? But how do we achieve it? Well, some part of the answer might lie within Morus Indica. Here are a few skin benefits of this sensational plant:
- Premature aging: Dark circles and wrinkles are the primary indictors of aging and you might think there is no way to cure them. But, research indicates that the plant increases the production of antioxidants like resveratrol within the body which helps to fight against early aging and reduces the appearance of dark circles.
- Moisturisation to the core: Another key to ageless skin is supreme hydration. The juice from the fruit is infused in the tonics and moisturizers of many skincare companies. It is believed to provide endless nourishment and satisfaction to the skin.
- Skin Infections and Diseases: In Ayurveda topical application of the paste of the roots or leaves of the plant can cure various skin diseases like Psoriasis, genital herpes, dermatitis and facial swelling.
- UV Protection and Skin Whitening: Morus Indica prevents tanning and pigmentation caused by exposure to UV rays and hence aids in the lightening of the skin.
- Provides glowing Skin: Its moisturizing properties and Vitamins help impart a natural glow and make skin supple and radiant at the same time.
Properties of Indian Mulberry:
Indian Mulberry is sought after due to its varied properties:
- Anti- Inflammatory
- Natural Emollient- moisturizing properties
- Immune booster
A healthy body is achieved through positive approach, a balanced diet and immense discipline. However, sometimes nature could take a toll and create health disorders in the body. Scientific research has indicated that Indian Mulberry can contribute to health in the following ways:
- Cures constipation and insomnia: Consumption of the pulp of the fruit in raw form can provide relief during constipation and insomnia.
- Diabetes and Liver disorders: A study released in Dovepress magazine stated that the ingredient has the potential to decrease blood sugar, cholesterol and liver glycogen levels in the body and demonstrates its anti-oxidant protection against diabetes and liver disorders. In addition, doctors recommend people suffering with type 2 diabetes to consume 1 gram of the berry 3 times a day. This can decrease the body sugar and cholesterol levels to by up to 23%.
- Immunity booster: A good immune ensures resistance against bacterial and fungal infections. It is believed that the extract of the leaves can increase the production of cytokines and macrophages in the body for better immunity.
- Alzheimer’s disease: Anthocyanin is abundantly found in the plant and is known to boost memory power and can hence waive off the effects of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Blood Pressure and heart health: According to wedmd.com Morus indica has the potential to regulate blood pressure amongst individuals and hence promotes good heart health.
- Anti-depressant and diaphoretic: In Ayurveda the fruit has been used as an emollient and diaphoretic to fight against symptoms of depression and induce sweating to provide relief during fever.
- Anti-cancerous: The anti-cancerous property of the plant is demonstrated through the compounds morusin and kuwanon C and G, as they inhibit cancerous cell growth and slow the body’s degenerative process.
- Tinnitus and Colic disorder: Tinnitus is a disorder which is common amongst adults and creates sensitivity against noise in one or both of the ears. Whereas, Colic disorder is the occurrence of crying instances amongst infants. The book “Invasive Plant Medicine” indicates that the bark of the berry may treat tinnitus and colic disorder.
- Eye disorders: The leaves of the fruit can be applied over sore and dry eyes to soothe swelling and dryness. In addition, the flavonoids found in its pulp prevent the symptoms of cataract.
Indian Mulberry in Ayurveda:
In Ayurveda Morus Indica has been glorified for its diverse healing properties. It is known as Brahmadaru in Sanskrit language. The Leaf, bark and Fruit of the plant are judiciously used in the preparation of herbal medicines and tonics. There are some terms in Ayurveda which symbolize its therapeutic properties such as:
- Guru-guna- it possesses immense digestive properties
- Karma-Vata Shamaka- Helps to cure the Vata dosha in Ayurveda
While significant clinical research is still being done on the pant to uncover its incredible properties in different parts of the world, existing scientific evidence has definitely provided a gateway to discovering new miracles of the plant. We follow the path of cruelty-free and natural beauty and hence have incorporated this natural wonder in our moisturizers and serums. So be sure to give them a try to sustain youthful skin.