Be it Rudyard Kipling’s stories, Harinder Singh Mahboob’s beautiful poems, the very first sloka of “Sukla Yajurveda” or “The Jungle Book”, a bestseller till date for all the children, Butea monosperma has found recognition in all of them with common names such as Palashi, Dhak etc.
During the spring season, Palashi is filled with clusters of bright orange flowers creating an image of flames over the trees, hence making the tree famous with the name “flame of the forest”. Although known as “flame of the forest” it relieves the skin of itching and irritation.
Flowers of Butea Monosperma have been used since ancient times to maintain complexion and suppleness of the skin. Palashi has several medicinal properties such as antimicrobial, antidiabetic, antitumor, wound healing properties etc.Research indicates that Butea Monosperm, when used in combination with Rubia Cordifolia, helps in skin microcirculation. Almost all the parts of this plant have many useful properties and have been used for a long time for medicinal as well as other purposes.
Our skin is exposed to daily environmental stresses like pollution, harmful sun rays etc. These stresses cause pimples, rashes, tanning which are sometimes really difficult to get rid off. So to suppress the effect of these environmental stresses and maintain the charisma of your natural beauty, here are some facts about Butea which will definitely make you wish to try them on your skin:
- Leaves of Palashi relieve various skin disorders like boils, pimples, swelling, rashes and skin ulcers.
- Detoxification- Bark is used as a blood purifier/detoxifier. Blood detoxification brightens skin and reduces acne and redness.
- Anti-oxidants- Anti-oxidants in Palasha protect the skin by limiting the production of free radicals which can damage skin cells and thereby reduce the signs of aging.
- Anti-inflammatory- Anti-inflammatory components of Butea aids in soothing the skin. It helps in reducing the irritation and inflammation caused due to rashes, acne or sunburns.
- Antimicrobial- Butea contains many anti-microbial components which protect skin from several potentially harmful microorganisms and consequently reduces the pimples breakout.
- Sometimes bad stomach shows its effects on skthe in by appearance of acne, pimples or rashes. Butea bark isa good cure for upset stomach conditions like diarrhea and dysentery.
- Under-eye dark circles- Skin microcirculation is essential for healthy and glowing skin and butea provides enhanced blood microcirculation thereby reducing the under-eye dark circles.
- Skin lightening- Butea also plays a significant role in skin lightening and toning.
Properties of Butea Monosperma - anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, antimicrobial, detoxification properties, anti-aging, skin lightening.
Wonders of Butea Monosperma are not only restricted to skin but it has health benefits too. Here’s a list of few:
- Leaves and flowers have anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic, wound healing properties.
- Palashi also shows anti-diarrheal, hepatoprotective, anti-oxidative and diuretic properties.
- Palashi helps in reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Butea is also responsible for regulation of body temperature as well as micro and macro blood circulation throughout the body.
- It also regulates the blood pressure and tissue fluid movement (swelling or edema).
- The fruit and seeds are useful in piles, eye diseases, and inflammation. They furthermore cure skin diseases, abdominal troubles, and tumors.
Butea has been an important ingredient it Ayurvedic medicines since centuries. It has found appreciation in many vedas and Upanishads.
In Ayurveda the Palashi is known for its ability to balance the kapha dosha (kapha dosha is a condition wherein a person feels high body weight, lethargic, foggy, uncomfortable and emotionally imbalanced).
Kapha is the nourishing element of the body. All the soft organs are made of kapha, it plays an important role in taste perception, joint nourishment and lubrication.
To summarise, Palasha or “flame of the forest” burns our ailments and is very beneficial to our health.