We all know about cocoa butter and its endless benefits. But did you know about Kokum Butter? It is considered a great alternative to Cocoa butter and retains it solid shape at room temperature. However, it melts instantaneously when it comes in contact with the heat of the skin. We will discuss the benefits of this wonderful ingredient.
What is Kokum?
Kokum grows on a tree which is known as wild mangosteen tree, red mangosteen tree or red mango tree. The ingredient is widely cultivated in the regions of Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala, Assam, Meghalaya, and West Bengal. The Kokum fruit consists of three parts namely:
- Kokum Pericarp- It is the peel of the fruit which is enriched with antioxidants
- The Pulp- this contains the edible fruit which is used as a great souring agent in curries and vegetable dishes
- The Seeds: These are the source of Kokum butter which is extensively used in the production of soaps, scented candles, and various skin products.
Skin Benefits of Kokum Butter:
There are many skin related issues which we all face in our lifetime such as Dry skin, appearance of wrinkles, dullness and skin redness. You might wonder whether there is any solution for these problems. Well, Kokum butter might be the solution to all your worries:
- Locks in Moisture: Kokum butter is gaining popularity over cocoa butter due to its ability to lock in moisture and to keep the skin soft and tender.
- Reduces Skin ageing: The ingredient is packed with necessary vitamins and fats which are considered essential for our skin. It promotes skin tightening and also reduces the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines on the skin.
- Helps to cure redness and irritated skin: During daily commutes our skin gets exposed to pollution and other environmental stressors which can lead to redness and irritation in the skin. Kokum butter can act as an instant reliever in such cases and soothe the skin.
- A good moisturizer for Hand and Feet: Cracked heels and dry hands are a common problem. Kokum butter’s rich vitamin content and moisturizing properties can help to achieve soft and healthy Hands and Feet all the time.
- Heals wounds and Burns: Kokum Butter has anti- oxidant properties which can help in the healing process of burns, rashes and wounds. Due to this quality Kokum butter is used in many pharmaceutical products.
- Natural Lip Balm: Whether its winter or summer, chapped lips care a common recurring problem. Kokum butter can moisturize and satiate dry chapped lips.
- Provides glowing Skin: Its moisturizing properties and natural minerals impart a natural glow and make skin supple and radiant at the same time.
Properties of Kokum Butter:
Kokum Butter is sought after due to its varied properties:
- Anti-oxidant- contains Vitamin E which is a great anti-oxidant for regeneration of skin cells
- Natural Emollient
- Anti- Ageing- Helps to reduce wrinkles and fine lines
- Anti-cancer- can help fight colon cancer cells
- Anti- microbial
Health Benefits of Kokum and its luscious butter:
- Provides relief from muscle Pain and stress: The soothing properties of Kokum Butter can make it a good medicine for stressed and strained muscles. A good massage with heated Kokum butter can provide exceptional results.
- Helps in reducing stretch marks: Kokum butter has extraordinary moisturizing properties; its regular application on stretch marks can aid in the healing and moisturizing of those affected areas.
- Boosts immunity of the body: its great anti-inflammatory properties can help to protect the body against bacteria and viruses and boost the overall immunity of the body.
- Can help in healing cancer: Research indicates that Kokum’s anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties can reduce the growth of colon and intestinal cancer cells.
- Blood Cancer: Kokum has exceptional anti-oxidant properties which can inhibit the growth of blood cancer cells and regenerate production of white blood cells within the body.
- Digestive Problems: Kokum has the potential to cure varied digestion problems such as stomach ulcers, chronic gastritis and constipation.
- Diarrhea and Liver disorders: When Kokum is infused in tonics and syrups it becomes an effective remedy for diarrhea and Liver disorders.
Kokum in Ayurveda:
In Ayurvedic terminology, Kokum butter is called Vrikshamla. There are around 35 species of Kokum fruit which are found in India. The fruit and its exquisite butter provide magical health benefits pertaining to organ function, skin diseases and blood disorders. It is a precious gem of nature which provides holistic bliss to the body and soul.
Ever since its discovery, this miracle ingredient has made a great contribution in the field of Ayurveda and Science. From food to health, it is a natural wonder for mankind. Do give it a try and give your body the rejuvenation of a lifetime.