Turmeric is considered a cure-all ingredient in every Indian household. With the west catching up on turmeric's benefits to our being, trying to make it 'cool' by variations of its use in turmeric lattes etc., West’s current health food trend is the Indian subcontinent’s millennia-old staple.
Turmeric is a versatile ingredient which can be used for many purposes such as cooking and skincare. This bright ingredient is in high demand for its color and various healing benefits. It is considered a golden spice and is available in many forms in the market (i.e.; ground spice, capsules, and teas).
What is Turmeric Root Extract?
The plant grows in the ground and consists of several bunches of roots called rhizomes which are similar in shape to ginger. It is cultivated throughout various regions of India, Southeast Asia, America and some parts of Europe. Curcumin is an extract obtained from the Turmeric plant which is sought after for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Turmeric oil is extracted from the rhizomes and possesses analgesic and antiseptic properties.
Turmeric Skin Benefits:
The skin is regularly exposed to extreme conditions which can deteriorate its appearance and elasticity. So the skin requires regular care and attention to maintain that worldly charm and Turmeric can become a useful agent in that maintenance process. Here are a few ways in which the golden spice helps to rejuvenate the skin:
- Imparts a natural glow to the skin: Turmeric is found in many face beauty products such as face masks and creams. The antioxidant agent-Curcumin which is found in the plant can enhance the brightness and youthfulness of the skin.
- Helps in healing wounds: A scientific journal named ‘Life Sciences’ states that the Curcumin agent is an effective solution for healing skin wounds and scars.
- Treats Psoriasis: The National Psoriasis Foundation recommends intake of turmeric in food and as a dietary supplement for curing various symptoms related to psoriasis.
- Can reduce the scabies skin condition: Scabies is a skin condition which is caused by bites from mites. A mixture of Turmeric and an herb called Neem can treat this severe skin condition.
- Can reduce the appearance of Acne, Pimples and Dark spots: The use of turmeric-infused face masks and creams can help in reducing acne, pimples and dark spots on your skin.
- Helps in reducing oiliness and signs of aging: The golden spice has innate oil absorbent properties and is enriched with organic antioxidants which help to clear clogged pores and prevent signs of aging.
- Provide relief from skin cancer: It can provide relief from harmful odors and itching related to skin cancer.
Turmeric Properties: Antioxidant, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, immunity booster, analgesic, anti-aging and stimulates digestion process.
Health Benefits of Turmeric:
Turmeric has a number of health benefits which enrich the body and soul. A few have been discussed below:
Helps to improve digestion: Turmeric oil is considered useful for reducing digestion related bloating and gas problems in many individuals.
Reduction in Cholesterol Levels: The oil of turmeric can act as an agent to reduce body cholesterol levels.
Boosts immunity of the body: Curcumin has great anti-inflammatory properties which help to protect the body against bacteria and viruses.
Can help in curing cancer: The great anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties of turmeric can aid in curing different types of cancer.
Helps to reduce breathing problems: Research indicates that turmeric is also beneficial in improving bronchitis and lung infections.
Can help in curing Osteoarthritis: Turmeric and its various components can reduce knee pain, swelling and other effects of Osteoarthritis.
- Provide relief from diabetes: It contributes in controlling diabetes by reducing the overall body cholesterol levels.
- Can help to improve brain-related conditions: Curcumin can boost brain activity and increase the number of brain cells to cure Alzheimer’s disease.
Turmeric in Ayurveda
Turmeric is the most extensively used ingredient in Ayurveda. The ingredient has been present for centuries throughout Indian and Chinese cultures. It is extremely beneficial for curing blood, organ, skin and digestion related problems. In Ayurveda, Turmeric is called “Haridra”, which highlights its varied healing and analgesic properties.
The advancements in Ayurvedic and medical research have greatly contributed to elevating the importance of Turmeric in our day to day life. It is for this reason that we incorporated turmeric root extract into our formulations. Check out our Eternal Youth Rejuvenating Serum that is an elixir of 25+ active botanicals that nourish the skin from deep within, restoring the radiance lost over the years.