Since the Mediterranean origins, the fragrance of rosemary has graced humankind with its mystical properties throughout the world. This lovely herb is tagged as “dew of the sea”, it is also known as love charm as it was associated with wedding ceremonies in western culture. Rosemary’s significance is also found in Shakespeare’s Hamlet as a symbol of remembrance.
Rosemary is known to have many skincare benefits ranging from moisturizing skin to protecting your skin from damaging free radicals.
What is Rosemary extract?
Rosmarinus officinalis i.e. rosemary is a woody, perennial herb with fragnant evergreen needle like leaves. It blooms with white, pink, purple or blue flowers and it is native to Mediterranean region. Rosemary belongs to the mint family Lamiaceae, which includes many other herbs. In India it is the Himalayas and Nilgiri hills that have dry to moist climate. Extracts and essential oils from flowers and leaves are used in cosmetics and many other healthcare products.
Rosemary skin benefits
Be it a cold pleasant winter morning or hot summers, your skin requires constant care and nourishment. Rosemary being pretty much queen of herbs provides this care and nourishment all year round. Here are few skincare benefits:
- Natural Preservative - Rosemary is a favorite of Organic Chemists and Skincare formulators because of its preservation abilities. It helps oils from going rancid and with mold formation.
- Hydrates and nourishes skin - Rosemary is used extensively in many skin care products for its moisturizing property. The rosemary oil hydrates your skin naturally, eliminating flaking and dryness of the skin. It is an excellent moisturizer as it controls natural oil production in the skin keeping your skin hydrated and not oily.
- Improves blood circulation in skin - Rosemary oil boosts blood circulation in your skin, this aids in improved skin tone and skin complexion. Your skin will glow and feels fresh.
- Clears acne and pimples – Rosemary oil has natural astringent properties which aids in clearing pimples and acne.
- Improves skin texture - Rosemary oil is rich in nutrients such as vitamins which protects and cleanses the skin, promoting improved skin texture and even skin tone.
- Protects from sun damage- Phytonutrients and minerals such as iron, calcium etc are in abundance in rosemary oil, which helps in protection your skin from any damage caused by harmful sun rays or harsh pollution.
- Anti-inflammatory – rosemary oil works as an outstanding anti-inflammatory agent as it contains caffeic acid and rosamarinic acid that help in soothing rashes, swelling, pimple breakouts etc.
- Fights signs of aging – The antioxidant properties of rosemary oil fights against the free radical/oxidative damage, making your skin look younger and rejuvenated.
- Rosemary benefits – hydrates and moisturizes the skin, astringent properties, antioxidant properties, anti-inflammatory properties, protect from sun damage.
Health benefits –
Rosemary has numerous health benefits. A few mentioned below:
- Boosts immunity- rosemary oil contains numerous bioactive compounds that act as powerful antioxidants which ambush free radicals that damage to your cells and cause various infections and diseases.
- Promotes digestion- rosemary oil aids in improved secretion of gastric juice and bile juice, both are necessary for good digestion and healthy stomach. Its helps in relieving stomach from constipation, bloating, flatulence etc.
- Cures headache- according to the research the pain relieving property of this essential oil has been found to be very effective in reducing headaches.
- Alleviate cold and cough(flu)- Flu, cold, cough are all caused due to bacterial and viral infections. Rosemary oil acts as a potent antimicrobial agent and fights against these infections.
- Helps in detoxification- multiple research studies have proven that rosemary oil helps in healing injured liver cells in rats. Studies also suggested that the oil has been known to regulate the production and storage of bile by the liver, thus improving the functioning of digestive system.
- Enhances hair health- rosemary oil has been found to stimulate hair growth and it also aids in treating dandruff.
Rosemary in Ayurveda
Rosemary is often referred to as ‘wonder herb’. Ancient Greeks believed that it boosted memory, ancient studies also link the herb as having properties similar to drugs used for dementia as it helps increase a neurotransmitter called acetylcholine. Rosemary oil is also considered as heart tonic as it acts as a cardiac stimulant. Rosemary is an excellent tonic for skin and hair, it fights several skin problems such as eczema, skin infections, boils, blisters etc and hence it has been a major ingredient in Ayurvedic medicines. To avail the benefits of this wonder herb please check out our Eternal youth phytonutrient moisturizer and our Active botanical facewash.