Tulsi or Holy Basil is a phenomenal herb that has been used for centuries in India for its amazing health and skin benefits. Tulsi is an aromatic herb and is widely used in cooking especially in Thai cuisines, it is used in herbal tea as well. Tulsi is not only an excellent source of antioxidants but also a notable detoxifier. The antimicrobial, antibiotic and antioxidant properties are like an elixir for skincare. Recently Tulsi has gained worldwide popularity for its amazing benefits and its versatility.
More about Tulsi extracts and oils
Holy basil is scientifically known as Ocimum tenuiflorum. It is native to the Indian subcontinent and widespread as a cultivated plant throughout the Southeast Asian tropics. Ocimum is an erect, many-branched subshrub, 30-60cm tall with hairy stems. Leaves are green or purple and are strongly scented. The leaves are dried and used for making of herbal tea and culinary purpose while the essential oils are extracted from leaves and used for medicinal as well as cosmetic purposes.
In order to maintain healthy and glowing skin, our skin requires daily cleansing and detoxification to remove dead cells, dirt, oil etc. you need not require harmful chemicals for cleansing instead there are simple and naturals ways to do so. Here are few ways in which the wonder herb will help you cleanse your skin:
- Prevents acne - The basil leaves are incorporated in many facewash and facemasks for cleansing purpose. The antibacterial and antifungal agents in the leaves helps you fight acne and pimples. You can also consume basil leaves to achieve detoxification.
- Slows down aging – The holy basil is super rich in antioxidants, thus it protects your skin against the effects of oxidative damage. This anti-oxidant property makes basil the master of anti-aging.
- Gives lightened and glowing skin – The long lost glow and brightness of skin can be restored by mystical properties of Tulsi leaves. It not only reduces and lightens the dark spots but also makes your skin glow, restoring the beauty of your skin.
- Relieves the skin infections- The basil leaves also possess antibiotic properties that aids in fighting numerous skin infections, especially the growth of microorganisms such as B.anthracis and E.coli is restricted by the antibiotic properties of basil leaves.
- Tightens the skin pores- Regular usage of basil leaves will help in getting rid of blemishes and also tightening the skin pores.
- Treats vitiligo and Eczema- Vitiligo is a long-term condition characterized by patches of skin losing their pigment. Eczema is atopic dermatitis i.e. group of diseases that result in inflammation of the skin, characterized by itchiness, rashes etc. Research suggests that regular consumption of basil leaves can improve the symptoms of vitiligo and eczema.
Properties of Tulsi
Anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, antioxidant, antibiotic, skin lightening, skin tightening.
Tulsi is not only great for skin but it also has amazing benefits on health. The oils extracted from leaves of Tulsi is used for various medicinal purposes and also in herbal tea. Here are some amazing health benefits-
- It is good for the heart – An Australian study suggested that basil contains flavonoids and other vital components which prevents coronary heart diseases and heart attacks. It also suggested that the leaves significantly reduced bad cholesterol and increased good cholesterol.
- Cures a sore throat - Basil leaves are an excellent cure for a sore throat.
- Relieves stress –Tulsi is considered as a powerful adaptogen (i.e. anti-stress hormone) in many countries. It lowers the cortisol (cortisol is known as stress hormone) levels in the body thus reducing anxiety and mental stress.
- Fights cancer- Tulsi has eugenol which has shown anticancer properties. Research has shown that the holy basil has many such bioactive compounds that help in preventing cancer.
- Treats headache – Research highlights that consumption of basil leaves in any form can relieve even a severe headache.
- Maintains good oral health - The antimicrobial properties of Tulsi leaves makes it a good mouthwash which aids in preventing plaque or any periodontal diseases.
- Improves abdominal health – A bad stomach shows its effect on overall health especially skin. Basil leaves works great on stomach ailments including stomach ache, acidity, constipation etc.
Tulsi in Ayurveda
Tulsi has been used in Ayurveda for its supposed uses to treat diseases. Traditionally, Tulsi is taken as herbal tea, dried powder, fresh leaf or mixed with ghee. Tulsi has been used to treat many ailments such as urticarial, itching, sinusitis, headache, bad breath, bad stomach etc. The anti-microbial and antibiotic properties of Tulsi have been known for millennia in Indian culture.
Because of these amazing qualities, Tulsi is incorporated in our active botanical facewash that will make your skin youthful and rejuvenated by cleansing your skin gently and leaving enough hydration post cleansing.