Literally translating to “smell of a horse,” the Ashwagandha is a shrub that seemingly blesses those who consume it with horse-esque strength. Don’t be fooled, however: this plant has been used for nearly 3,000 years and is also loaded with so many medicinal properties and produces effects that seem near-impossible, which is why it’s even been called magical, nature’s gift to mankind. It's exceptional skin-nourishing qualities made us choose Ashwagandha for our Eternal Youth Rejuvenating Serum.
What is Ashwagandha?
Cultivated primarily in India, Nepal, and China, the Ashwagandha, also called the Indian Winter Cherry, is a small plant that yields red fruits and has grown greatly in popularity over the years due to its dual ability to strengthen and calm. It is known to perform wonders to reduce stress and simultaneously keep the body energized during the day whilst allowing for a peaceful sleep at night. Loaded with amino acids, minerals, and antioxidants, it’s really no shock that this miraculous herb is a staple in Ayurveda.
The Ashwagandha can not only calm the mind but also our bodies; this completely natural herb even produces wondrous effects on the body’s largest organ.
- Produces a moisturizing effect: Ashwagandha acts as a natural moisturizer and smoothener for skin and it even improves circulation.
- Strengthens skin: This miracle herb contains collagen, which is known to strengthen the skin.
- Treats dry skin: Ashwagandha contains hyaluronan which produces a hydrating effect on the skin, helping it stay hydrated.
- Acts as a natural toner: This herb has been found to act as a natural toner, especially when used with lemon.
- Reduces acne: The anti-inflammation properties of Ashwagandha contribute to its ability to reduce the damage done to the skin by acne.
- Anti-aging effect: Due to the presence of antioxidants in the herb, it can be used to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, helping the skin stay youthful.
- Heals wounds: Ointments made from Ashwagandha can be used to treat wounds and bruises.
Properties of Ashwagandha: Ashwagandha is composed some of the best compounds needed for healthy skin: collagen, elastin, and hyaluronan. It even contains steroidal compounds that can increase estrogen levels, as well as a wealth of antioxidants, iron, glucose, nitrates, and fatty acids. Application of this magical herb produces anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and adaptogenic effects.
Ashwagandha really is one of the kings of medicinal herbs, the true definition of a double whammy: its effects are considered magical and it battles problems on the two fronts of the body and mind.
This miracle-working herb has been known to relieve arthritis, high blood pressure, and asthma. It has been proved to strengthen the muscular walls of the heart and reduces the risk of cardiovascular problems. The extract from the leaves and roots of the plant are highly useful in the treatment of diabetes. A study even showed that consumption of Ashwagandha improves the functioning of the kidney, stimulates the adrenal gland, treats anemia and eye diseases, boosts immunity, and is even said to help prevent several forms of cancer.
On the mental side, Ashwagandha visibly improves vitality and endurance and gives the body energy. Various studies have shown the effects the herb produces on the brain, boosting brain function, memory power, and it even helps prevent insomnia and helps regulate your sleep cycle effectively. It is a known treatment for stress and produces a calming effect on the mind. It can be even used as an aphrodisiac.
Ashwagandha in Ayurveda:
Used for centuries in Ayurveda, Ashwagandha is known as balya or a giver of strength. All parts of the plant: leaves, stem, roots, and fruits, can be used for medicinal purposes. Known to rejuvenate the body internally and externally, physically and mentally, the Ashwagandha is a true natural storehouse of all things good for us.
Ashwagandha is definitely deserving of all the recognition it gets. Containing essential properties that boost the abilities of our both the body and soul, this little herb is truly miraculous and is a great addition to our daily routine to lead a healthier life.